Tuesday 4 March 2014

My Week of PR Work Experience

(Image taken from Google Images.)

Last week, I embarked on a week of PR work experience for the company Flipside PR. As you may or may not know, I have been considering PR as a future career for a while but I think it's hard to really know if it's something I want to do without getting real experience in the field. With that being said, I was super excited to get started!

Instead of writing out a long, boring paragraph about my experience, I thought it was better to separate it into a few questions...

How to go about getting PR work experience?
In my opinion, it's all about being proactive! My school doesn't organise work experience for us, we have to go out and get it ourselves. I personally enjoy working and so currently have around 6 references I can use for my CV/personal statement etc - everything helps! Anyway, how I went about getting this particular experience was simply emailing by companies and asking if they had any work experience vacancies. I must have sent out about 10-15 emails, and got around 3/4 replies, so it's not a walk in the park.


Daily tasks?
Your daily tasks will vary from company to company, depending on what sector of PR you work in, and how big the company is. I worked for a fairly small health and beauty PR company, and so my daily tasks included going through the newspapers to look for any beauty articles, taking care of social media and accounting for coverage of the brands they work with.

Was it worth doing?
Yes, 100%! Although I only worked for 5 days, I feel like it has given me a great insight into the world of PR, and without it I don't think I could say for sure that I wanted to pursue a career in it. Yes, the journey was tiring every day, but even the travelling was a great experience and it definitely made me feel more independent.

Advice for others doing work experience, possibly in the PR sector?
Be confident, be yourself and soak up everything they tell you! Don't hesitate to ask for more jobs to do - show them you're willing to get stuck in!

And that's everything! I hope you enjoyed my little summing up of my week in London, and that's it's helped some of you out. If you have any more questions, feel free to leave them in the comments below!

9 comments:

  1. That's great,lovely interview(:
    I'm contemplating between Marketing/Advertising and PR as a major in college,and I might lean towards PR a bit more now!(:

    Courtney Dunsmore
    aswestumblealongg.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohh. This is such an interesting read! I'm sure you had a great time experiencing work in the PR field. I love your advice! :)

    Zoe
    http://thatszoe.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the idea of a career in the PR field, especially to do with beauty. Your post was super helpful, thank you!

    Megan - thebeautypier.blogspot.com x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Think PR is defiantly something I'd like to do!

    xxx | daisydaisyxxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the sound of this, I have some work experience for the summer and it sounds really exciting! x

    Maddy from UNSTITCHEDD

    

P.S. I don't want this to be spammy but I am also hosting a £50 Giveaway at the moment if you wanted to enter here

    ReplyDelete
  6. sounds like you had a great opportunity!

    lizlovesmakeupx3.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. i wish that america did work experience just like the uk (and most of the world) since it seems like such a great experience in the long run and not to mention, sounds fun! hopefully you enjoyed yourself! xx
    wanderlise.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds like an amazing experience, I would love to get into PR!

    P.xx
    GreyWalls

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like a great experience. I have a 500hr internship coming up in the fall and can't wait to get some hands on work for my career.

    katespitz.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Blogger & Blogspot Templates from pipdig